Continuing Education to Remain a Licensee
Once a real estate license is obtained, continuing education is needed to keep up with the ever-changing real estate market. To learn more about continuing education for current licensees, please see the information below.
Continuing education involves two separate but interrelated requirements for most practitioners: MCE and REALTOR Training.
- Mandatory Continuing Education (MCE) for ALL licensees consisting of ten (10) hours of MCE is required by state law to renew real estate licenses every two years before June 30:
- Four (4) hours must be thebasic CORE class as mandated by REC which changes every two years in odd numbered years. This leaves six (6) hours of Electives required for most licensees.
- However, BICs must use four (4) of their elective hours for a BIC CORE course developed by the Commission (BIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES), leaving BICs only two (2) hours of electives required.
- Fully exempt licensees (approved for exemption prior to January 1 2017) are not required to complete any continuing education, including core courses.
- Partially exempt licensees (approved after January 1 2017) are required to complete the basic Core course, but no elective. However, those who hold a BIC license are only exempt from the 2 hour elective, and are required to complete both the 4 basic CORE and 4hr mandatory BIC CORE courses